Friday, July 19, 2024

2014 Freeze Frame of My Son on Carlsbad Beach

 Haven't done much painting this year. Just finished writing my first book in December and taking a creative break.  I've had a full sheet of 300# watercolor paper laying on my art cabinet on which several years ago (pre-Covid) I smeared thick gesso on to build up texture in random patterns. They I cut out words from magazines and glued them on randomly with more gesso, and made some other marks. I had a vague idea what I wanted to do with it, but it took several years before I was ready. Maybe it was too emotional and I wasn't ready. Not sure. Dwight's been gone to Arkansas for almost six months and one of the ways I fight anxiety is by "arting" so I finally went back to this painting in July. It's finished and at the framer's now. It's multimedia. I used casein (for the first time), watercolor, Nupastel, and a white gel pen. I really like the way it turned out and reminds me of that evening on the beach in Carlsbad. It was Father's Day and we all four went down the road to the beach (we were living on Carlsbad Blvd at the time) and had a bonfire. We took marshmallows and Chad took his guitar. It was a great time. At one point, Sean got up and walked towards the water and looked out over the sea towards the setting sun on the horizon. It was a pensive, emotional moment and I took his photo. It reminds me that for four months our family lived together - as adults - in a very special space. I'll cherish it always.




No comments:

Followers