Friday, December 30, 2016

S.A.D. no more...

When we lived in Virginia, as beautiful as the State was, in the winter it was often gray, gloomy, and snowy. I can handle the cold and the snow, but the constant grayness of the sky blocking out the sun got to me as it does to many people causing symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder - SAD. That just means lack of enough bright sunlight can cause a kind of depression. Turns out we are sun-worshippers! Brightness is measured is "lux" and bright sunlight has 20,000 - 100,000 lux. A daylight cloudy sky has 5,000. Whoa! I got a really spiffy light therapy box that I sat in front of for an hour or so when needed, usually just reading or whatever. Worked like a charm. Fast forward to now - just dug the old light box out of unpacked boxes and repurposing it to use as an art tracing lightbox. Whoohoo! Glad that didn't go to Goodwill along with my winter coats when we moved to San Diego where there are plenty of luxes to go around and no SADness here - at least not from lack of bright sun. Lightboxes are used by many artists, among them - watercolorists - to transfer a sketch/drawing onto watercolor paper. So no more taping it to the living room window to trace. I'm finding repurposing uses for other things too like different sized medicine bottles which I pull the label off of and fill with fountain pen nibs, ink fillers, travel brushes, whatever.  Okay enough of that!


I am so in love with my new Noodler's Apache Sunset Ink!!

You can fill a fountain pen and write with it.
You can paint with it full strength or diluted.
You can use it to paint with other colored inks.
The effects and the color are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!





Check out this gorgeous daylily that an artist way more talented than I painted with Noodler's Apache Sunset ink.

So, who can be SAD with all this lovely color to play with?!


No comments:

Followers